LIFE IN BALANCE-Thinking about Thinking 2Adeshola Ezeokoli
In my last post I dealt with different wrong thinking patterns. Today I will be talking about healthy thinkers.
Healthy Thinkers: Healthy thinkers are realistic, optimistic and pragmatic. They know the power of thoughts and do not let their thoughts go to places they do not want them to go. Healthy thinkers know that their emotions do not constantly govern their thoughts. Healthy thinkers have godly perspectives on life and know that they have control over their thoughts.
They are not ruled by fear and dread. They do not succumb to wishful thinking to the point that they lose their grip on reality. Do you have a healthy thinking perspective? Healthy thinkers do not read undue meanings into mundane things.
To be a healthy thinker:
1. Realize that your thoughts are in your control.
2. Know that your thoughts are not your emotions and learn to separate the two.
3. When your thoughts wander where you do not want them to go, drag them back with your thoughts, words and images.
4. Renew your mind with the Word of God.
5. Break unhealthy thought patterns (see Thinking about Thinking)
6. Don’t build up things in your mind. For instance if your husband forgot your birthday, do make a quantum leap from “He forgot my birthday” to “He doesn’t care about me, he doesn’t care about our marriage; he must be having an affair”.
7. Avoid looking for validation of wrong thought patterns.
That’s all for now!
Have a “healthy thinking” week!